Monday, September 11, 2006

Burden of Proof


Haphazard Samplings

Coen Bros Filmography:

From a random a sample during the week I found a few people not schooled up on this film-making duo. But instead of me doing reviews or giving my opinion, I decided to just list their work in order and you can judge their merits autonomously, and educate yourself about any that you’ve missed. Placing the onus back on you!

  • The Ladykillers (2004)
  • Intolerable Cruelty (2003)
  • The Man Who Wasn't There (2001)
  • O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000)
  • The Big Lebowski (1998)
  • Fargo (1996)
  • The Hudsucker Proxy (1994)
  • Barton Fink (1991)
  • Miller's Crossing (1990)
  • Raising Arizona (1987)
  • Crimewave (1985)
  • Blood Simple. (1984)

Ok I’m not claiming I’ve seen all of these, or that every one of them is a complete movie masterpiece, although at least 3 definitely are. I just think if you don’t know much about these guys and their work it is worth exploring! My preferred ones are: The man who wasn’t there, and O brother…. I’m sure all would kick snakes on a planes arse!

Just to show music fans I’m not marginalising them to reach the film buff crowd, here is a tracklisting of the David Bowie album ‘Ziggy Stardust’. I decided to reference cultural icons for once cos I never really go into detail much…

  • 1. Five Years
  • 2. Soul Love
  • 3. Moonage Daydream
  • 4. Starman
  • 5. It Ain't Easy
  • 6. Lady Stardust
  • 7. Star
  • 8. Hang Onto Yourself
  • 9. Ziggy Stardust
  • 10. Suffragette City
  • 11. Rock 'N' Roll Suicide
  • 12. John, I'm Only Dancing
  • 13. Velvet Goldmine
  • 14. Sweet Head
  • 15. Ziggy Stardust
  • 16. Lady Stardust

Should I get all High-fidelity and start making top ten lists for every occasion past, present and fictional? TBA

Media quickies:

Stuff on TV that’s worth checking out:

  • The Soprano’s
  • Big Love
  • Family Guy
  • The Simpsons

Which are currently all playing episodes which haven’t been played on NZ TV (well when season 17 of the Simpsons starts they will be. Watch out for the starting sequence acted out by human actors…) Usual shizz really, not that I endorse television “drug of the nation, breading ignorance and feeding radiation” (not that I don’t endorse drugs).

Song of the week: Anyone heard that song by “Peter Bjorn and John” called ‘Young folks’ probably the sorta thing that I might get sick of in months to come, buts it’s a cool catchy breakbeat with laidback darkish verses, but has an upbeat poppy chorus. High rotate on the portable media player for the week!

Also notice five years on (yes it has been that long)… I noticed Loose Change (a.k.a Let’s Roll 9-11) has reached the mainstream media. Even if most people shrug it off as a “conspiracy theory” at least it may open up discussion, and help people realise that the sympathy and patriotism was used and abused by the Bush administration for their own ends. Whether or not they could organise something that big is still very very debatable. Hopefully were all abit more aware next time someone cloaks themselves in the flag and manipulates patriotic nationalism.

Thanks to anonymous for recommending some reading. Didn't have time to read a whole novel (just at the mo), but Took a look online and found out about the book and its general themes, which touch upon my rant last week about most of the world being caught in an economic hell-hole. But as long we have our morning beverage and syndicated publication we don’t really give a fuck.

TEACHER seeks pupil. Must have an earnest desire to save the world. Apply in person.

No comments: