Monday, September 18, 2006

Monkeys, rats and concentration camps...

Rockboy...
(Palestinian side of the Israeli West Bank barrier.)

The benefits of visiting your own flat…
Described by some as a 'Art Terrorist' or "Guerilla Artist"....
I had heard of him before due to his fiercely anti-corporate activities of culture-jamming, graffiti art, and generally being a great example of a confusion spreading, thought provoking mo’ fo’! Another example of someone I would like to emulate in some way, but don’t think I have the talent or guts…

I’m speaking about "world renowned, London-based graffiti artist ‘Banksy’" (cheers wiki). I just heard on the radio last week that he had gone into music stores in England and changed the particulars of ‘Paris Hilton’s (a deep thinker of our generation indeed) album to make the song titles (e.g 'Why Am I Famous?') about her being a spoilt rich drunken whore (who’s not even particularly attractive, the empty cult of celebrity. I mean she's just wealthy and man is she gonna look worse in like 5 years… but I digress. Anyway he always seems to be doing stunts that are usually both politically and humorously motivated, in some way at least. Then I found this book at my flat, that my flatmate had got from the library called “Wall and Piece” man this guy is so hard out, prolific, gifted, guess I sound like I wanna get down on my knees, but really it’s that good! Well I don’t need to put words in his mouth or anything like that because he also gives his own insights, theories and musings which in my humble opinion are on the mark. People ARE being made to feel small, isolated and pathetic, just so they'll buy more products! He has inspired me to take a more active role in grass roots politics, by spray painting on walls! I never quite got it right but its time I went back to have another go at stencilling, etc if i ever get a chance/free-time... How many 'graffiti artists' could fill a whole book? (rhetorical)

Watch this space/channel/slot/outlet/frequency/source/load of/point on/slash/reference myself and others…. Ok I’ve lost it again but you get the drift…

Go Banksy wherever he may be!

(sorry if you don't like lnk-intensive posts, but i just had to...)

No comments: